A Detailed overview of the PMI ACP Exam
Do you employ Agile approaches, tools, and strategies in your projects? Do you work for a business that has embraced agile project management methodologies? (or) Are you someone who trying to demonstrate your familiarity with Agile approaches? Then, you should pursue Agile Certified Practitioner Certification (PMI-ACP).
PMI-ACP is offered by PMI for professionals who are looking to gain knowledge in agile methodologies. It formally acknowledges an individual's knowledge of PDU and proficiency with agile methodologies. Unlike the PMI-PMP Certification, which focuses more on general project management subjects, this certification primarily focuses on using agile methodologies for project execution. The highly coveted ACP Certificate also ensures numerous career opportunities and lucrative compensation. Moreover, these practitioners are highly valued due to the nature of their work. ACP Certificate is obtained only by passing the exam conducted by PMI. Before beginning the exam preparation, candidates should have a basic understanding of how to apply for the exam, the application procedure, and what to expect during the exam.
What is the structure of the ACP Exam?
There are 120 multiple-choice questions in the PMI-ACP exam. Twenty of these 120 questions are regarded as test-preparatory questions. The results of the pre-test questions will not be included in the final score. The duration of the exam is 180 minutes. The syllabus of the exam is defined by the PMBOK guide. It comprises the seven domain practices that candidates need to master to pass the ACP Exam. The following chart represents the percentage of questions candidates can expect in each domain.
|Agile Principles and Mindset||16%|
|Problem Detection and Resolution||10%|
|Continuous Improvement(Product, Process, People)||9%|
- Agile principles and mindset – The first domain is all about exploring, embracing, and applying agile principles and mindset within the context of the project team and organization.
- Value-driven delivery – This domain emphasizes delivering valuable results by producing high-value increments for review, early and often, based on stakeholder priorities.
- Stakeholder Engagement – The fundamental purpose of this domain is to engage current and future interested parties by building a trusting environment, and promoting participation and collaboration throughout the project life cycle.
- Team performance - Creating an environment of trust, learning, collaboration, and conflict resolution that cultivates a culture of high performance is the major objective of this domain.
- Adaptive planning – The domain deals with producing and maintaining an evolving plan, from initiation to closure, based on goals, values, risks, constraints, and stakeholder feedback.
- Problem detection and resolution – The main goals of this domain are to continuously identify problems, impediments, and risks, and prioritize and resolve them in a timely manner
- Continuous improvement – The last domain overview focuses on continuously improving the quality, effectiveness, and value of the product, the process, and the team.
What is the application process for the ACP Exam?
- Filling out the application: Before applying for the ACP Exam, candidates should fulfill the prerequisites set by PMI. On the PMI website, candidates can submit an online application for the exam. The exam is also available in Arabic, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, and Spanish. Therefore, if English is not candidates’ first language, they can choose their preferred exam language during registration. Candidates should provide their contact information, education, domain experience, and domain education information while filling out the application.
- Submitting the application: PMI gives candidates 90 days to fulfill the application. Individuals can leave it unfinished and return to it later to make modifications to the information they have already submitted. After submission, PMI reviews the application within 5–10 days of the submission date. PMI also performs audits for a predetermined percentage of applications to ensure the credibility of the certification program and its holders. Candidates are expected to submit the audit materials if their application is chosen for an audit.
- Scheduling the ACP Exam: Candidates can pay their exam fee after getting the email from PMI approving their application. They will receive an eligibility number from PMI after making payment, which is used to schedule the exam. By signing into MyPMI and following the instructions, candidates can schedule the exam through a testing center or in an online proctored setting using Pearson VUE.
Points to remember before taking the ACP Exam
- Exam site requirements: Candidates must present a valid and current form of government-issued identification to enter the Pearson VUE testing center or during the check-in process before the exam. The identification must have English characters/translation, photograph, and signature. The documents should not be damaged and in good shape; it cannot be taped, bent, frayed, cracked, or in any other way damaged. Furthermore, it should be the originals and cannot be photocopied. Candidates are not allowed to take the exam if they do not present the appropriate and matching identification.
- Check in procedure: Candidates should arrive 30 minutes prior to their scheduled appointment on the day of the exam. They must sign in, submit their unique PMI Eligibility ID, and the necessary identification. Moreover, aspirants are required to have their photo taken and provide a signature during the check-in process. Candidates are also required to provide the appointment confirmation number obtained while making the appointment.
- Prohibited from the testing center: In the examination room or at the exam desk, applicants are not permitted to bring anything or anybody. Food, calculators, watches, wallets, eyeglass cases, dictionaries, book bags, and sweaters are among the items. Sweaters and jewelry are allowed to wear inside the testing facility, but once applicants reach the testing room, they are not permitted to take them off. Moreover, a locker will be provided for them to store their personal items.
- Testing Aids: Calculators and scrap paper are not permitted inside the testing center. However, Pearson VUE will provide them with these supplies. Calculators are built into the CBT exam and will be provided to those candidates taking a PBT exam. Candidates are also provided with markers and an erasable notepad for taking notes.
ACP Certificate is an indispensable asset for individuals who wish to start their career in agile project management. It helps candidates climb their career ladder by providing a lot of opportunities. Therefore, professionals should obtain ACP Certification at the earliest to begin their agile careers.